Follow us Select language

Click left or right arrows to scroll the gallery

Синяя птица

4 Tirgoņu iela, Rīga, Rīgas pilsēta, Latvia
Contact Us 
Listing ID 278
Floors 1/2/3/4/5
Property Size 915m2
Interior +

Detmanis House (“Blue Bird”) 

The building is located in the very centre of Riga – at 4 Tirgoņu Street on the Dome Square. The Dome Square spreads before you from the windows of the building, across the square there is the famous Dome Cathedral with the largest pipe organ in Europe. 

Tirgoņu Street connects the Dome Square with the Town Hall Square. This street was first mentioned in documents in the 14th century as Platea mercatorum. In Latin it means Merchants’ Street, in Latvian – Tirgoņu Street. The etymology has not changed over 800 years. There is a phenomenon in the streets of Riga. Money lenders and members of the Town Hall took up their residence in the nearby Sinners’ (Grēcinieku) Street, and businessmen – merchants lived in Tirgoņu Street. 

Tirgoņu Street is the first street of the city where new covering from Swedish paving stones was made in 1847. It is no coincidence that celebrities’ roads led to Tirgoņu Street – with the best pavement in Riga which remained intact until now. 

The splendid building with numerous sculptures on its façade was designed for its owner – Heinrih Detmanis, merchant of the second guild, founder and owner of Russian-Baltic Electrical Engineering Plant (later on – famous plant VEF) simultaneously by three architects: German inhabitants of Riga, honour of Riga town development, Friedrich Scheffel and Heinrich Schell and their colleague from Lubeck architect Gan. The latter was commissioned by Detmanis to draw the façade. Detmanis spared no expense: he paid 1,200 gold roubles for the land for construction. This amount was unprecedented in real estate business in Riga of that time. In 1901 Detmanis House in the style of Art Nouveau enriched the ancient street. 

The building still ornaments the Old Riga today. This building is reputedly the most beautiful building on the Dome Square. There is a prestigious bar on the ground floor, a restaurant on the first floor, it was a place where you could have coffee and buns in 1970-1980, and the most popular café in Riga – “Blue Bird” was located one floor up. Many inhabitants and visitors of Riga still use this name for this building. 

The total area of the building is 915 sq.m. The building is in good condition, façade repair works were carried out and copper roof was replaced in 2010.